Trove Tuesday: A Gold Mine of Family History

After a rather long hiatus, I am back blogging! And there is so much to catch up on. But one very big highlight for me is the addition of the Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate on Trove. Both my paternal and maternal lines spent considerable time (covering multiple generations) in the Newcastle and Hunter region, so I have been waiting for this paper to be released for years!

I started by searching for mentions of my third great grandparents, Charles Wardley and Elizabeth Caroline Ellen Rufford and their family.

I found so much! 771 results. Some sad, some happy. There are family tragedies, family triumphs, and family celebrations. Not to mention plenty of community and church involvement.

I was always told that Elizabeth Caroline Ellen had run the Sunday School in Boolaroo - and now I have newspaper articles to corroborate that.


1899 'DISTRICT NEWS.', Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW : 1876 - 1954) , 23 October, p. 3, viewed 7 July, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article135380644
Charles and Elizabeth's eldest daughter Alice was the first bride in the new Boolaroo Church of England church.


1906 'BOOLAROO.', Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW : 1876 - 1954) , 22 March, p. 7, viewed 7 July, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article140965055
And wonderfully, an article about Charles and Elizabeth's Golden Wedding Anniversary!


1935 'GOLDEN WEDDING.', Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW : 1876 - 1954) , 6 August, p. 12, viewed 7 July, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article138130373

Labels: , ,