April A to Z Challenge - R is for Riebe

Riebe, my mother's maiden name, is pronounced rree-ber in German, but we've always pronounced it ree-bee.

Robert Joseph Riebe with his son Robert Vernon Riebe and grandson Francis Vernon Riebe
In my Janeczek post, I wrote about my earliest Australian Riebe ancestor, Herman Robert Ferdinand Riebe, who was known as Ferdinand. He married Catherine Janeczek, and they emigrated to South Australia in 1883 with their young son Carl Ferdinand Robert Riebe, who was known as Robert Joseph.

Robert Joseph Riebe married Wilhelmina Caroline Clara Rosenfeld, daughter of Herman Henry Robert Rosenfeld and Albertine Karoline Wilhelmine Drews, on 4 March 1912 in St Michael's (Church of England), Surry Hills. I also wrote about Albertine Drews earlier this month.

Their son Robert Vernon Riebe became a hairdresser like his father, and married Margaret Groves, daughter of Arthur Groves and Margaret Buchanan, on 6 January 1937 in Boolaroo.

Their second son, my grandfather, Francis Vernon Riebe, was born on 27 June 1941 in Hamilton.

There is so much more to the Riebe story, and I am not going to attempt to do it justice in this short post. In fact, I am planning to do a series of blog posts covering the Riebe family in Australia, if I can ever get over my perfectionism and just get started!


This is a post for the April A-Z Challenge. This Challenge will cover each letter of the alphabet, one per day (except Sundays) for the month of April. I didn't register my blog with the organisers, but I'm going to follow along anyway. You can too! See www.a-zchallenge.com for more information.

Labels: ,