So, I thought I would briefly share something about him and his ancestry.
Henry (Harry) MitchellHenry Mitchell, or Harry as he was referred to in most documents after his birth, was born in the wee hours of Saturday, 7 June 1895 at 29 Tennant Street, Glasgow. His parents, Hugh Mitchell and Marion Gray Glass Wilson, had married two and a half years earlier on Friday, 16 December 1892 at 9 Stanhope Street, Glasgow - the home of his maternal grandparents.
At the time of the 1901 Census, on 31 March, the family are living at 56 Cauper Street, Glasgow. Harry, who is now five, has a new little sister, Mary, who is 9 months old.
At the time of the 1911 Census, on 2 April, the family are living at 5 Reid Street, Shettleston. Harry, nearly 16, is now listed as a Butcher. Hugh and Marion have been married for 16 years, and have had four children - Harry, Mary, Alexander and Elizabeth.
On Thursday, 31 December 1914, 19 year old Harry married Elizabeth Margaret Buchanan McKeand at 5 Huntley Terrace, Shettleston. At the time, he and his new wife's usual address was 148 Old Shettleston Road, Shettleston. Interestingly, his occupation is listed as "Coal Miner".
His occupation is also listed as Coal Miner when he registers the birth of his daughter Janet McKechie [sic] Mitchell, my great-grandmother, on 26 February 1916. However, by the time of her marriage in 1935, he is working as a Butcher again.
Sadly, on the 28 November 1937, Harry died from a brain tumour at the age of 42.
The Ancestry of Henry (Harry) Mitchell
Please excuse the glaring omissions of some events in the below data, I have only included the events I have the certificates for, in case some of my assumptions are incorrect.
1. Henry (Harry) Mitchell was born on 7 June 1895 at 29 Tennant Street, Glasgow. He married Elizabeth Margaret Buchanan McKeand, daughter of John McKeand and Janet McKeachie, on 31 December 1914 at 5 Huntley Terrace, Shettleston. He died on 28 November 1937 at 58 Quarrybrae Street, Glasgow.
2. Hugh Mitchell was born in about 1874 in Ireland. He married Marion Gray Glass Wilson, daughter of James Wilson and Marion Gray Glass, on 16 December 1892 at 9 Stanhope Street, Glasgow.
3. Marion Gray Glass Wilson was born on about 1873 in Selkirk. She married Hugh Mitchell, son of Henry Mitchell and Elizabeth Hughes, on 16 December 1892 at 9 Stanhope Street, Glasgow.
6. James Wilson was born about 1845 in Renfrewshire. He married Marion Gray Glass, daughter of Robert Glass and Marion Gray, on 7 June 1867 at 37 Edinburgh Crescent, Glasgow.
7. Marion Gray Glass was born about 1846. She married James Wilson, son of Robert Wilson and Margaret Arbuckle, on 7 June 1867 at 37 Edinburgh Crescent, Glasgow.
12. Robert Wilson was born about 1819 in Hamilton. He married Margaret Arbuckle on 30 March 1851 at 7 Burnside Street, Glasgow.
13. Margaret Arbuckle was born about 1817 in Carmunnock. She married Robert Wilson on 30 March 1851 at 7 Burnside Street, Glasgow.
14. Robert Glass married Marion Gray on 11 February 1827 in Glasgow.
15. Marion Gray married Robert Glass on 11 February 1827 in Glasgow.
This is a post for the April A-Z Challenge. This Challenge will cover each letter of the alphabet, one per day (except Sundays) for the month of April. I didn't register my blog with the organisers, but I'm going to follow along anyway. You can too! See www.a-zchallenge.com for more information.